Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Done with Anne for awhile...


I finished Anne of Ingleside last weekend, bringing my grand total of books read this year to 18. Not bad, if I do say so myself...and I do! :) The thing I like the most about the Anne of Green Gables books is that they're always able to transport me back to my childhood. When I was young (like from 3rd grade to 6th grade), I used to spend the summers reading my favorite books over and over. My mom used to kick me outside, usually with book still in hand. I read the Anne books over and over. I love that Anne never really grows up. Even as an adult, she keeps the dreams and fantasies she had as a child. When I was a kid, my favorite of the Anne books was Anne of the Island, when she goes off to college. It's the most love-storyish of any of the Anne books, in my opinion. Now, though, I find myself liking Anne of Avonlea more. The things Anne goes through while teaching are things I go through myself, and she seems to handle things so well. Her philosophy on discipline is similar to mine, too. She believes that caring for and investing in students personally will help them to develop a relationship with their teacher, which, in turn, will make them want to behave. I try to practice this as much as possible. It's funny that a book written so long ago can still ring true today...

But enough about Anne! I'm currently reading The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. It's good so far... It's science fiction, which I sometimes like and sometimes don't. I think the reason I like it is because it's so character driven. I'll review it fully when I finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment